Why EMF Protection?
It is important to understand why protecting yourself from electromagnetic radiation is necessary. The health consequences of the ubiquitous electronic pollution in our environment affect everyone living in our modern world. Below is a short summary of what you should know, followed by references for further reading if you are interested.
You Are an Electromagnetic Being
Your body uses electrical signals to accomplish every function vital to your health, from your heartbeat to your brainwaves, from cell growth to sensory perception to reproduction. Electrical impulses and waves flow through every nook and cranny of your body, and where electric current flows, so magnetic fields are created. Thus you are an electromagnetic being, and electromagnetic frequencies and their effects on your biological functioning can be measured throughout your body. Modern medicine, in fact, relies on these measurements for many diagnostic tools, from the electrocardiogram (EKG) to magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). “The Body Electric”, by Dr. Robert Becker, was the seminal work introducing the concept of electromagnetism in biology. (See reference below.)
As an electromagnetic being, it is not hard to understand that exposure to powerful and unnatural electromagnetic radiation can affect your health. And unnatural is an important concept here, for there are electromagnetic fields (EMF’s) found in nature, and they are essential to many aspects of how your body functions, from your sleep cycle to your circadian rhythm. How EMF’s affect your body depend both on their frequency and their power, and those found in nature are subtle, with both low frequency and low power. The problem then, comes from the much higher frequency, power, and numerous sources of electromagnetic radiation in our modern environment.
Your Health and EMF’s
Some of the effects on your health from exposure to electromagnetic radiation include:
- Cellular disruption that floods your cells with unhealthy levels of calcium
- Oxidative stress through an increase in free radicals that in turn causes damage to your DNA
- Decreases in white and red blood cell counts and associated declines in immune response
- Compromise of the blood-brain barrier, exposing the central nervous system to unhealthy toxins
- Changes in hormone levels, including melatonin, a critical hormone that regulates our biocycle
- Documented increases in susceptibility to cancer, cardiovascular disease, neurological disease, insomnia, headaches, anxiety, depression, ADD, infertility, and many other diseases and symptoms
- And lastly, beyond the effects on your health, EMF exposure also negatively impacts the health of animals – from your pets at home to birds and bees in the wild
Scientific studies about the adverse health effects of EMF exposure that support these claims have been proliferating for the last 20 years and are far too numerous to list here. You may find large collections of these studies online at EMF Portal and The Bioinitiative Report, among many other places (see references below). You may also, of course, find some studies that purport to show that EMF exposure does not cause harm to your health. The important thing to remember, as pointed out in the Bioinitiative Report, is that if EMF exposure truly caused no harm, then it would not be possible for so many studies to conclusively demonstrate that it does. And of course, the fact that EMF’s are used diagnostically and therapeutically in conventional medicine in many ways – from MRI’s to trans-cranial magnetic stimulation to pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) therapy – indisputably shows that they can and do affect your health.
Perhaps most disturbing of all is the fact that the health of your cells, the smallest organisms in your body, is now recognized to be critically important to your overall health. Narrow micro-currents (with approx. 60-70 microamps) flow through your body along organized paths and ensure your well-being. Any injury or illness – as well as EMF radiation – disturb or interrupt this energy flow and lower the voltage in your cells. “Non-health" is thus often caused by disturbances at the cellular level that result in a lack of energy in your cells. You do not “feel” or “see” these cellular disturbances, so it is normal to not recognize the consequences of EMF exposure. However, as described above, you are an electromagnetic being, and constant exposure to unnatural electromagnetic radiation is detrimental to your health.
Why Government Regulation Falls Short
You may wonder why the government does not create regulations to protect you against the adverse health consequences of electromagnetic radiation. There are two primary reasons – one is that regulators tend to focus on very narrow aspects of EMF’s and health, and the other is that there are very powerful and well-funded businesses with strong lobbying groups who would be negatively impacted by any regulation.
Most guidelines for EMF safety are based on the assumption that non-ionizing radiation (such as that used by the electricity in your home, your cell phone, your wi-fi router, etc.) does not cause enough heat to damage your cells, and is therefore safe. Here are a few of the problems with that approach:
- It ignores the non-thermal effects of electromagnetic radiation, and there are countless scientific studies that conclusively demonstrate there are numerous non-thermal detrimental health consequences from EMF exposure.
- It is based on short-term studies conducted in the lab on only one type of electromagnetic radiation at a time. It ignores the accumulated effects of exposure to many sources of electromagnetic radiation over an extended period, which is of course the world we live in today. And again, there are many studies showing that prolonged exposure to high levels of EMF’s like those commonly found in our modern environment do indeed affect our health.
- It is based on unrealistic assumptions about the use of EMF emitting devices. The most notable of these is the testing performed by the FCC to determine cell phone safety, which is based on the heat emitted from a cell phone held 5 mm from the head of a dummy for 6 minutes. Most of us, of course, use a cell phone for more than 6 minutes, and often hold it against our head or in our pocket. If you look in the fine print of the warning that came with your cell phone, it likely recommends keeping the device 5 to 15 mm from your head when in use – not something most people know or do.
- It is usually based on the size and weight of an adult male. Females have smaller bodies that would be impacted to a greater extent, and children, whose bodies are still developing, are of course even more sensitive to cellular disruption and other consequences of electromagnetic radiation exposure.
There are actually some countries that have recognized the dangers of EMF exposure and have enacted regulations to lower them. In the European Union, guidelines for electric field exposure is half what it is in the U.S., and for magnetic fields is almost 90% lower. In Chile and New Zealand there are limits on placing cell phone towers near schools. In France it is possible for individuals and communities to fight the placement of cell phone towers near their homes or schools, while in the United States it is illegal to fight them (thanks to the lobbying efforts of the powerful businesses mentioned above). In fact, in the U.S. it is possible to find cell phone towers placed on the roof or exterior walls of a school!
To make matters worse, we are now seeing the introduction of 5G cell phone technology in the United States. While there were plenty of documented health consequences from the electromagnetic radiation emitted by the few towers spread around town broadcasting the older 3G and 4G technologies, 5G relies on a far more powerful signal with a higher frequency and higher intensity being emitted by many small antennas spread at short intervals along every street. A good overview of 5G concerns can be found here.
The situation is summed up very well by Dr. Robert Becker, the pioneering scientist who spent his career studying the electromagnetic basis of the human body, and author of the book “The Body Electric”. He wrote this summary in the chapter warning of the dangers of EMF radiation at the end of his book, after reviewing his life’s research leading to the conclusion that we are in fact electromagnetic beings. And bear in mind that this was written in 1985, even before the advent of cell phones and wi-fi. This is a clear indication that the dangers of electromagnetic radiation extend even to more conventional electromagnetic frequencies:
“Subliminal activation of the stress response is one of the most important effects that EMF’s and nonionizing radiation have upon life, but it’s far from the only one. These unfamiliar energies produce changes in nearly every bodily function so far studied. Many of these alterations are associated with stress, but whether they’re a result of, or an additional trigger for, the adrenocortical reaction is an irrelevant chicken-or-egg question at this state of our knowledge. The most disturbing data come from work on the systems that integrate other bodily functions – the central nervous, cardiovascular, endocrine, and growth control systems. We’ll concentrate upon these in the following overview of the biohazards.
For the most part, no attempt will be made to identify specific effects from microwaves, radio waves, and electric or magnetic fields, for similar changes have been observed from all modalities. The major problems come from extremely low frequencies, but higher frequencies have the same effects if pulsed or modulated in the ELF range. This is very often the case, for, to transmit information, microwaves or radio waves must be shaped. This is done by interrupting the beam to form pulses or by modulating the frequency or amplitude (size) of the waves. Furthermore, today’s environment is a latticework of crisscrossing signals in which there’s always the possibility of synergistic effects or the ‘construction’ of new ELF signals from the patterns of interference between two higher frequencies. Therefore, experiments in which cells or organisms are exposed to a single unmodulated frequency, though sometimes useful, are irrelevant outside the lab. They’re most often done by researches whose only goals is to be able to say, ‘See, there’s no cause for alarm.’”
If you need more convincing, we encourage you to review some of the many studies documenting the adverse health effects of electromagnetic radiation. It should become obvious that the sheer number of studies from such diverse countries and respected research institutions showing such varying detrimental health consequences, makes the question of the dangers of EMF exposure indisputable. Below are some resources for learning more about these dangers:
- EMF Portal
- The Bioinitiative Report
- Environmental Health Trust
- International EMF Alliance
- National Toxicology Program Cell Phone Study
- CBS Marketplace Cell Phone Report (video)
- Dr. Mercola on the Health Consequences of EMF Exposure